Frequently Asked Questions
Are MINISIMS the same as NYSORA Simulators?
Yes! Valkyrie MINISIMS are exactly the same product and continue to be endorsed by NYSORA.
Why are NYSORA and Medxpress no longer selling these simulators?
NYSORA have decided to concentrate on on-line education Apps and CME.
Do Valkyrie MINISIM inserts work with NYSORA simulators?
Yes! Valkyrie MINISIMS are exactly the same product
How do I get the best ultrasound image?
Increase the gain to the maximum to visualize the anatomical structures, then dial back as necessary.
What size needle should I use?
25 Gauge is recommended for longer life but no larger than 22 gauge
Are needles supplied with the product?
No. Most users prefer to utilize needles currently used in their practice.
What is the life of a MINISIM Simulator?
There is no standard answer since it depends on the user and procedure
- Size needles used
- How the needle is manipulated during placement
- MINISIM Simulators have been used in monthly NYSORA training programs for more than 2 years without replacement
What is a track mark?
- Track marks are formed when a needle is passed through the plastic creating a channel
- The channel fills with air as the needle is withdrawn
- Oil within the material will fill the track and push the air out. As the air dissipates, the track mark fades
Purchase an additional insert to change out for busy training programs. This will allow one to “heal” while the other is in use
How long does it take for track marks to "Heal"?
Usually within days depending on size of the track
Can I speed up “Healing” process for track marks?
Storing the product in a warm environment can sometime help depending on the size of the track mark.
Use small gauge needles
How is in-service training performed?
Since in person product training is not always possible, we have developed a series of videos and simple pictorial IFU which are included with your system.
The IFU contains instructions for care, and use including the scanned target.
Can I practice placing catheters in MINISIM Simulators?
Yes, with the understanding that
- Larger needles must be used to assist catheter placement which results in larger track marks
- Large track marks take longer to heal and can cause permanent damage
Order a rotation insert to have an additional insert while allowing time for your insert to “heal” from the use of the larger needles and catheters
How can I place my order?
- By contacting us.
- By purchasing from our on line store.
What form or payment do you accept?
- Credit card
- Bank transfer
When will my payment be due?
Payment is due at the time of ordering unless otherwise agreed upon in writing.
Will I receive an order confirmation?
Yes. The email confirmation will provide a detailed copy of your order.
When will I receive my order?
The average is 14-30 days depending on which product is ordered.
Will all products in my order be shipped together?
Normally your order will be held until all products ordered are available.
You can request partial shipments (additional shipping charges will apply.
Do I pay shipping charges?
- Shipping cost will be quoted and added to your order
What is the return policy?
- Returns must be made within 15 days of receipt
- Returns must have the Returns Good Authorization number clearly stated on the label
- Returns are accepted if,
- Product is defective
- Wrong product received
Do MINISIM Simulators have a warranty?
Yes – 1-Year limited warranty from the date of shipment
What does the warranty cover?
- Defects in workmanship and components for the simulator only
- Accessories like camera, trays, and case are not covered under this warranty
- Warranty does not cover any misuse or abuse
How do I request a warranty replacement?
Provide complete details and Customer Service will assist you with your request
What if my package is damaged when received?
- Pictorially document the damage
- Contact the shipping company claims department
How do I place a customer complaint?
Provide details and Customer Service will follow-up to help you resolve any issues.
Will someone call me?
No. Due to time differences around the world, we will communicate by email.
How long does it take to receive a reply?
Within 48 hours
What landmarks should I expect to see?
Refer to the catalog for a listing of internal and external landmarks for each model
All simulators will contain Vessel, nerve(s) and muscle
Do MINISIM Simulators come with a Pulsatile pump?
Except for Vascular access models MINISIM Simulators have solid vessels to avoid permanent puncture damage that causes fluid leakage
How do I fill the vessels?
Only Vascular Access vessels require filling
- Remove the insert
- Remove the plugs for the vessels
- Using an air purged syringe, filled with clean sterile water, fill the vessels until the bubble at the top
- Replace the plugs
- When finished drain the vessels
- Tip: Add a small amount of alcohol to water to reduce the likelihood of bacterial or fungal growth
How should I store my Simulator?
Keep in a dry room at room temperature.
If in a cold region, make sure your Simulator is above 10° C for optimal visualization
Do I need to change the ultrasound settings?
Because simulators do not contain fluid like the human body, you should adjust the Gain for optimal image
In most cases gain should be increased. If your Ultrasound has THI (Tissue Harmonics Imaging), disable while scanning a simulator
Does my simulator require the use of gel?
Gel is recommended for ease of use and optimal image
Use small amounts and clean before storing
How do I clean my Simulator?
Clean with a damp and soapy cloth or alcohol wipes
Clean before placing back in storage
Why do I see a black shadow when scanning?
Acoustic shadowing on an ultrasound image is characterized by a signal void behind structures that strongly absorb or reflect ultrasonic waves. This happens most frequently with solid structures, as sound conducts most rapidly in areas where molecules are closely packed, such as in bone.
When the ultrasound beam reflects back and forth between the reflectors ("reverberates"), the ultrasound transducer interprets the sound waves returning as deeper structures since it took longer for the wave to return to the transducer.
Reverberation artifacts can be improved by changing the angle of insonation so that reverberation between strong parallel reflectors cannot occur.
What do I see only the needle tip?
The needle must be properly aligned with the probe to visualize the full length of the needle
Realignment of probe to needle, not needle to probe as this can cause damage to your simulator
Can I inject fluid around the nerve?
You can inject into the simulator fluid around the nerve but because the nerve is a solid structure, you will encounter high pressure just as you would expect in a human. In this case you can determine if your needle is within the nerve.
Withdraw before injecting just as you would in a patient.
Can I thread a catheter into the simulator?
You can thread a catheter, but this usually means the use of an 18g needle which will decrease the life of your simulator insert.
Purchase an additional insert if you are going to use large needles. It will require much longer for track mark to dissipate. A busy training program can require insert change.
What supplies do I need to use my simulator?
- Small gauge needle (23 or 22g)
- Standard ultrasound gel
- Water and alcohol if it is a Vascular Access model
- Wipes or cloth for cleaning (hand wipes work fine)
- Epidural needle and LOR syringe for Epidural model (catheter can also be used)
Smaller gauge needles increase life.